My husband is being stationed in England...of course I get to go with him, but He has been in Texas for the past 4 months and I have been at my mothers house in Chicago... I was sent paper work for a passport and visa, but it makes no sence to me especially when It was explained to me that the Duty Free passort is basically useless for anything other then being sent to where he is going to be stationed. Can anyone help me with what to do? the passport agent where my husband is right now is not very helpfull and I want to know if I can just apply for a regular passport on my own dime, but then I still don't know how to obtain a visa....if this sounds confusing...its because it is and I am sooo totally confused. Any wife who has already gone overseas with their hubby please give me some advise! :*(

NuAFwife NuAFwife
2 Responses Mar 3, 2008

I'm going to Italy with my husband and I'm having the same anxieties. They sent me the paperwork for the no-fee passport and visa and I sent in the paperwork for the passport. The visa paperwork is very confusing and requires a notarized birth certificate and marriage certificate and a bunch of other things that just blow my mind. I also got paperwork that needs to be filled out by my doctor and dentist. I'm very confused myself so I can't really help very much, but maybe it helps knowing someones going through the exact same thing? My husbands been in Texas the past 4 months as well.

I came over here to Germany with my husband in February...and I had a duty-free passport, which got me into the country, and on base (at base airport)...and i also applied for my official passport...had that sent to my hubby's family, and we picked it up on the way over there...I don't know how much time you have, but you can pretty much apply for your passports now...definitely have your duty-free passport...visas...I don't know anything about visas....I didn't have to have one going to Germany...and I am going to be here for 4 years...