I Think My Son Is Dyslexic...please Help
In fact, I have been saying that my son is dyslexic since he was four. But everyone told me that I was worrying too much and he would "grow out of it". Well the kid is now nine and is still struggling to read at a first grade level. He jumps all over the page - he cant seem to track the words on the page. He gets to frustrated it brings him to tears.
I have spent over a $1,000 taking him to psychologists and psychiatrists trying to find out what the problem is. Part of the problem is he has a high IQ so it skews the standard tests. The test results dumbfounded the psychologist so he tried to say that my son is ADHD. My son has never gotten into trouble at school. He behavior is excellent. He is cooperative, patient, kind, and loving. He is NOT ADHD. He can pay attention to anything BUT reading.
When I took him to the psychiatrist, he agreed that my son did not have ADHD but could not definitively confirm my suspicion of dyslexia. Although he did say that my instincts were probably correct. (It runs in my family.)
Some basic background.
- He didnt talk until he was three. Nothing - not even mama until after his third birthday. Then he spoke in full sentences. He just woke up one morning and started talking.
- He has always struggled with letters.
- He didn't master his letters until first grade.
- He didn't master letter sounds until second grade.
- He is in the third grade now.
- He has always done exceptionally well in math until now. Now he is reversing and confusing his numbers. The only difference is last year they only worked with addition and subtraction to 99 at the highest. Now he is working in the hundred, thousands and he cant keep track of which number goes where. Its really odd to watch him do his math.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.