Just My Luck...........

Hello everyone my name is Martin Salazar and I'm a police officer in a small town in New Mexico. This is a true story. I know because it happened to me. On August 16th 2012 I got off work and decided to go play raquetball. I was excited because I was about to start my vacation because I was getting married on August 25th 2012.

I went to the gym and began to play and a few minutes later I stepped wrong on the court and broke/dislocated my right ankle. It was severe enough that the following Tuesday I had surgery to repair my ankle. I needed a plate and my deltoid tendon re-attached. Needless to say I had the surgery and five days later, I got married. It was a huge event and we made it through without any further incident.

A few weeks after that, I even made it to the Denver Bronco and Pittsburgh Steeler game which I am sad to say went bad as I am a die-hard Steeler fan. Now after all this excitement I am going nuts because I'm so used to being active and I hate being at home alone. My wife works and she is gone most of the day. When she is home I am so grateful because she is here to take care of me.

This injury is the worst thing that could have happened to me and the worst time. I know I'll get better but it's a struggle. Thanks for listening.
Xavier303 Xavier303
2 Responses Sep 13, 2012

Congratulations on your marriage! 7 months post op... how are you doing now?

I broke my ankle in 3 places while on vacation in July of this year, I had surgery the next day and then had a splint on for 9 days. After that I had a cast on for 6 weeks,which was the end of August. I started Physical Therapy the end of that week nad have gone 7 times. the therapists feels I can benefit from more visits and I feel that way to. At first I used a wheelchair, then a walker, then a cane and now I really don't use the can at all. I go to the doctor tomorrow and they will do another xray. They expect a full recovery but I still walk with a limp and sometimes get down because I wish I was back to normal, There is still quite a bit of swelling. I know this injury takes time and I have to have more patience, but I do get down from time to time.