I Am a Domestic Engineer
When ask about my occupation I regularly answer that I am a "Domestic Engineer". It is a title that explains what I do.
So what is the job description of a Domestic Engineer?
1) All household duties, including but not limited to, cleaning, laundry, cooking, minor repairs, yard work, and many short notice projects.
2) Arrange transportation for family members to any number and variety of events and responsibility.
3) Care for and clean up after sick children...including spouse who becomes as a child when ill.
4) Comparison shop for all needed household items, including but not limited to, food, cars, car repairs, household repairs, gifts, vacations, and any other need that arises.
5) Handle any urgent matters of the household by whatever means necessary; email, letters, phone calls, etc.
6) Organize the household in such a way that you can find any needed document in a split seconds notice, even if the family member never showed you the needed item.
The pay is lousy, but the benefits package is great. It includes smiles, hugs, kisses, high fives, and late night snuggles to avoid bedtime.
I am so much more than a housewife, or domestic goddess. I know that sometimes it is okay for the house to less than perfect in order to take my princess to the park. I know that I can wear the same shoes another season so that my thoughtful teen can have the new ones that "are to die for". And I know that when the walls are closing in from boredom and illness and frustration that it will all pass and I will look back at this job in years to come with joy and tear-filled eyes.