My Thoughts On Christopher ColumbusChristopher Columbus is painted as a hero in most European and North American history books. He is supposed to be a "brave religious" man who "discovered the New World".
On the contrary, Christopher Columbus was actually a very greedy, arrogant man who committed a lot of crimes against the Natives.
The following is a list of false and misleading information about Columbus:
1) he discovered the world was round
2) he was the first European to "discover" the Americas
3) he was a kind, compassionate man
4) he treated the Natives "fairly"
5) he was looking for the New World
1) Aristotle was the first man to write about the earth's "spherical" shape
2) the Vikings were actually the first to sail to Newfoundland in Canada
3) Christopher Columbus was known to be a very cruel and brutal man, and was eventually arrested for his atrocious crimes against his people while he was governor of the colony Hispaniola. His cruelty caused him to be arrested and returned to Spain. For his brutalities to be considered worthy of arrest and trial (23 people testified against him), his actions had to have been extremely bad given the time period. He was found innocent, possibly because of his staunchest defenders, the King and Queen of Spain.
4) It is commonly thought by many researchers that the original misconception that the American indigenous peoples were barbaric and unclean came from Christopher Columbus. This carried so much weight that all of Europe maintained this faulty belief upon settlement of the American colonies. No one ever attempted to learn the intricacies of the native cultures at all, but instead sought to eradicate the people. White men brought with them to the Americas many diseases such as Small Pox, Diptheria and Measles which wiped out entire populations of native people.
5) he was looking for a newer, faster trade route to India
also, another little known fact about him is that he had an affair with a woman he never married, who's child he later fathered and never cared for.
He was also an Opium addict.
damn, sounds like a true hero, doesn't he? ;)
righteouschica 18-21, F 3 Responses 5 Nov 22, 2012