My Sweet Uncle

I was honored to have cared for my late Uncle 24/7 in his home from March of 2012 until this past December before he went into nursing care (when his medical condition exceeded my ability to care for him by myself). We laid the gentleman to rest on January 8th, 2013, in the plot saved for him next to my Aunt, his late wife of more than sixty years.
Soon after my Aunt's death in September of 2010, I started to go get my Uncle for weekends at my house; he'd spend the night on Friday and on Saturday I'd take him to his favorite little family-style, quiet tiny little bar there in North Dallas that he'd frequented for decades. We'd take fried chicken livers or other finger foods with us to this place and have fun with a handful of his friends, every Saturday (or nearly every Saturday, depending on what else was going on in Life). 
Then, in late March/ early April of 2012 I asked him if he'd do me the favor of letting me move in and live with him and he readily agreed. I deliberately proposed that I move in with him in this way so that he could feel good about doing me a favor rather than feeling needy or in any other way less than the man he'd always been, so this was a good thing. (Sometimes we women don't mind being needy, you know). 
We continued to go out on the weekends, but now I got to cook his meals (my Uncle completely loved homemade biscuits and gravy!) and spend time with him watching his classic westerns on the Encore Western channel. But even when I started playing Second Life heavily, I was still always there, my door open and ready to hop up and go attend to his every need.

I took him to one of his (new) physicians and remember his answer to the nurse when she asked my Uncle his age: "I'm 86 and wild as a March hare!" he told her with that mischievous gleam in his eye. Speaking the truth in that statement, my Uncle loved the ladies and never missed an opportunity to flirt, quite harmlessly and in good nature. It was so cute to see my late Aunt just sigh and roll her eyes when he'd get started. They were quite an adorable, meant-to-be together pair. When she passed away, a part of him went with her. He longed for her til the day he was reunited with her. I'm so grateful that they are back together now.

To manage the litany of his many prescription medications, a simple spreadsheet was very easy to keep updated and hand out as needed to physicians and other health-care professionals. 
At night, when I'd see him off to bed, I'd always say "See you at the midnight beating" and he'd laugh and say it back to me; then I'd say "See you in the morning or I'll kick your ***!" and he'd laugh and say "Yes, see you in the morning". I know that some of you may find this odd, and I don't deny that it is, but we had an often silly repoire (though near the end I would just encourage him to rest well and remind him that I loved him). 
One time, when we'd both had a bit too much beer, we went back and forth for an hour with me saying "Get a hearing aid!" and him saying "What?!" 

Fortunately and much to our family's collective relief, he only had to spend about three weeks as a nursing home resident before Jesus called him Home. It was in these last three weeks that I saw him the least, having moved nearly an hour away and in with my severely ill mother who is so grateful to have me home for her now.
I'm so grateful to have known him, so honored to have been called to serve him the last few years of his life. 

I would admonish the reader of this rambling 'whatever' to please, please: do not take for granted the time you have with your loved ones. When they cross your mind, call or go see them. Tell them that you love them every time you have the chance as we never know when we'll be saying it for the last time. 

his obituary is here:
afreimann afreimann
41-45, F
Jan 10, 2013