I have reported to this strange hospital for urodynamic tests. "Matron" takes me into a huge high-cielinged room. I am to change into a cotton gown behind the curtain.The gown opens at the back; she ties the tapes. Sit here. The doctor takes forever to arrive. Meantime I wait getting cold. There has been some celebration during his lunch - I can smell the gin on his breath. He passes a catheter. He will fill my bladder from a jug, and I am to tell him when I am full. He is filling, and I am not feeling full but my bladder is distending. I ask how I will know I am completely full, as I do not have much sensation. - Oh, he replies, you will just burst! Joke or serious? I tell him that in that case I am now full, thank you. I am to empty my bladder into the bucket, and the volume and flow rate etc will be monitored. He tells me they have success with the sheath and bag by deleting the long tube and just keeping the bag in the bed like a hot water bottle. I am to try this and he writes a prescription. But that's another story!
deleted deleted
1 Response Dec 17, 2010

I went to a urologist's office for a urodynamic exam. I was instructed to take a Fleet enema before showing up early in the morning. I was told to remove all clothing except my t-shirt and lie on the table. A female nurse was going to do the exam. She offered me a gown to cover my mid-section, but considering the exam, there didn't seem to be any point to that. So I lay on the table with only my t-shirt. She first attached some probes--one in the anus, one in the region between the gonads and anus, and maybe another to make sure I didn't clench any muscles during the exam. She then took a fairly large diameter catheter and inserted it far enough to drain the bladder completely. That catheter was then removed and two smaller ones were inserted. The first was to inject sterile water, the other was to measure the pressure in the bladder. I stood about a foot away from the nurse as she attached the tubes to the machine and she then proceeded to let the water flow into the bladder. She wrote down how much I'd taken when the pressure rose to a certain level, then timed how long it took for me to urinate and measure whether it had all come out. She repeated the test a second time to verify her numbers as my bladder didn't hold a normal amount of fluid before I had to go. She then deflated the balloon hoding the catheter in place and quickly pulled it out, which was the most painful part of the whole test. I was given an antibiotic pill on leaving to prevent bladder infection.