Sicilian SpaghettiFamily recipe, I do not like clams normally but this is the one way I will eat them. I have heard it said that it is not traditional to serve seafood with cheese, but my family always has. I could not imagine this dish without cheese.
- Put a sauce pan on low heat and fill the bottom with extra virgin olive oil and just a dash of balsamic vinegar, sage and oregano
- Cut up a clove of elephant garlic in thin chips, like miniature potato chips and add to sauce
- Drain one can of minced clams (feed the juice to the cat) chop up any remaining large lumps and add to the sauce
- Cover the sauce pan with a lid, extremely important because the clams are going to pop like popcorn
- Raise the heat to about 3/4 until the clams begin to pop then turn off the heat
- Once they stop popping give it an extra 5 minutes to cool, stir, cover and heat again
!!!!! Do not remove the lid, just crack it and stick a large wooden fork under the lid to stir !!!!!
- Once they start popping again put the heat on low
- Cut up a can of large black olives
- Optional, chopped onions and or mushrooms
- Stir in the olives and any extras, let sit on low till sauteed
Traditional is to serve over conchiglie or shells but most seem to prefer angel hair. Cover the spaghetti with half and half fresh shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese, then pour the sauce over it to melt the cheese into the noodles.