Post

Off the Clock By Rebecca Dudley News-tribune Editor/publisher

 

My ex-husband had this annoying habit of bringing greasy old carburetors and things into the house to work on. So, last week, when my friend called to tell me this story my first response was “Where did this guy live?” Now reassured that I was never related to him by marriage, this really is too hilarious not to share. The way my friend told it this guy pushed his motorcycle from the patio into his living room, where he began to clean the engine with some rags and a bowl of gasoline. When he finished, he sat on the motorcycle and decided to start it to make sure everything was still OK. Unfortunately, the bike started in gear, and crashed through the glass patio with him still clinging to the handlebars. His wife had been working in the kitchen. She came running at the noise, and found him crumpled on the patio, badly cut from the shards of broken glass. She called 911, and the paramedics transported the guy to the emergency room.    So far the story is humorous- in a “that is what you get for being a big enough lout to bring your motorcycle into the house” kind of way. But here is where I really split a gut.   Later that afternoon, after many stitches had pulled her husband back together, the wife brought him home and put him to bed. She cleaned up the mess in the living room and dumped the bowl of gasoline in the toilet.   Shortly thereafter, her husband woke up, lit a cigarette, and went into the bathroom. He sat down and tosses the cigarette into the toilet, which promptly exploded because the wife had not flushed the gasoline away. The explosion blew the man through the bathroom door.   The wife heard the explosion and her husband’s screams. She ran into the hall and found him lying on the floor with his trousers blown away and burns on his buttocks. The wife again ran to the phone and called for an ambulance.   The same two paramedics were dispatched to the scene. They loaded the husband on the stretcher and began carrying him to the street. One of them asked the wife how the injury had occurred. When she told them, they began laughing so hard that they dropped the stretcher and broke the guy’s collarbone. Talk about instant karma   

 

dasmuggler dasmuggler 36-40, M 15 Responses Jan 19, 2009

Your Response

Cancel

Writer marvelous29650 is not fully in charge of the facts concerning a container of gasoline. If the container is a fairly good size and there is only a small amount of gasoline in the bottom, then the air space above the gasoline will be filled with fumes. These fumes could ignite from a carelessly tossed cigaret.

This woman should do some homework before passing on fiction

It is COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE to ignite gasoline with a lit cigarette... If you throw a cigarette into a bucket of gasoline it WILL extinguish the cigarette "NOT EXPLODE". I love to mess with people at parties with this one... Watch them run...

This is why we need mandatory neutering & spaying - of humans, 1st; then, the Animals.

My college journalism professor, the late John Bremner, told a variation of this urban myth to our editing class one day in 1967, to test gullibiity. Too bad Ms Dudley was not a student of his.

Quick question Rebecca: are you often duped by urban myths?<br />
<br />
http://www.snopes.com/embarrass/accident/toilet.asp

This was in the LA Times many years ago ... it was old and ficticious then! You truley should have known! Shows how gullible even the press is!

This is a variation on an urban legend that goes all the way back to 1948. People keep falling for it though.

For the love of knowlage this is may have been based on a shred of truth but it is physicly imposable <br />
<br />
to ignite just gas with a cigeret let alone while it is floating on water not to mention the fumes would <br />
<br />
of driven them out of the house so she sould just quit her job & become a dishwasher<br />
<br />
Wild Bill

I was wondering why he did not smell the fumes in the first place.

It's fiction. Check Snopes.

Wow just goes to show you the tribune has !00% fiction secction or Rebecca is as sharp as she looks or you dont have to be very smart to be a editor/publiser but this is why we have so little faith in our MEDIA <br />
Wild Bill Johnson

Actually, this "story" is urban legend.<br />
<br />
http://www.snopes.com/embarrass/accident/toilet.asp

A facebook friend posted this and I knew I had heard it before. So I looked it up in urban legends and reposted the link.

This "story" was completely plagarized from the book, "The Darwin Awards." The writer should be ashamed of herself and apologize for taking it and making up some friend telling her this story. This book was very popular.

The stupid things people do. What a funny yet sad story. Where were their brains?

Miss Karma is my friend, but she can be quite the *****!!