Okay, Maybe a Bit......

 I know it can be harmful to those with asthma and  can irate other illnesses .....

 

 But I heard on the news that Ed McMahons bone cancer was caused by mold in his home !   *gasps*  Just please pay attention to this if you see any in or around your home !

 

 

 

April 10, 2002
Ed McMahon Sues Over Mold in House


By ANN O'NEILL, TIMES STAFF WRITER, LA Times

Entertainer Ed McMahon is suing his insurance company for more than $20 million, alleging that he was sickened by toxic mold that spread through his Beverly Hills house after contractors cleaning up water damage from a broken pipe botched the job.

McMahon and his wife, Pamela, became ill from the mold, as did members of their household staff, according to the Los Angeles County Superior Court suit. The McMahons also blame the mold for the death of the family dog, Muffin.
Their suit, the latest of many in recent years over toxic mold, was filed late Monday against American Equity Insurance Co., a pair of insurance adjusters and several environmental cleanup contractors. It seeks monetary damages for alleged breach of contract, negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress. A spokeswoman for the insurance company declined to comment.

The trouble began in late July, when a pipe broke in the couple's six-bedroom Mediterranean-style house, which was filled with memorabilia from Ed McMahon's long television career. The den was flooded. A month later, mold was discovered in the den.
The McMahons charge in court papers that they were assured they were safe and could remain in the house during the cleanup, even as the mold spread through the heating and air conditioning ducts to their bedroom. It invaded the closets, contaminating their clothes. It also was found under the Jacuzzi in the master bathroom.

The McMahons questioned the contractors' cleanup methods, including simply painting over the mold. As the job became more expensive and complex, the insurance company and its contractors abandoned it, the suit charges.

"They covered it until they realized how expensive it was, and then they covered up," said McMahon lawyer Allan Browne. "What they did was spread the mold by allowing it to go into the air conditioning and heating ducts. When they screwed up, they started saying, 'Maybe we're not responsible for this job.'"

"When your family loses its health and your home is a wasteland, that's a colossal disaster," McMahon said Tuesday.
The McMahons' 8,000-square-foot house overlooking Coldwater Canyon stands gutted as the entertainer, his insurance company and the environmental cleanup contractors argue over who should pay to finish the cleanup, according to court papers. The McMahons are renting a $23,000-a-month house and, Browne said, have no idea where their insurance company has stored their clothing, furniture, artwork and memorabilia.

"Hopefully, it's safe, but we don't know where it is," Browne said.

Awareness of toxic mold has increased in recent years because of a spate of lawsuits. Among the most prominent litigants is Erin Brockovich, who discovered mold in the house she bought when the story of her legal crusade on behalf of pollution victims was turned into a movie starring Julia Roberts.

In response to the increased litigation, insurance rates have spiked in some states. Insurers in some areas have stopped writing policies or offer only bare-bones ones that don't cover mold problems.

In June, for example, Farmers Insurance Group lost a $32-million lawsuit filed by a Texas family that claimed toxic mold in their home caused severe health problems. The jury found that the insurer failed to pay for needed repairs for a water leak, which allowed mold to grow rampant in the house, making it uninhabitable.

In California, Gov. Gray Davis signed the 2001 Toxic Mold Disclosure Act, which went into effect in January. The law requires anyone selling, leasing or transferring property to disclose any potentially dangerous mold problem.

"The mold that grew in this case was the poisonous variety, stachybotrys chartarum," Browne said. "This is the most dangerous mold of all. It can cause death in people who are susceptible to respiratory ailments."
The McMahons' dog, a mutt who resembled a sheep dog, was in perfect health until she suddenly became sick at about the same time the mold was discovered, Browne said. "She was a sweetheart of a dog, incredibly smart, as frisky as you can imagine," the lawyer said. "All of a sudden she got this terrible respiratory ailment, and they had to put her down," Browne said.

And then, McMahon's and his wife's health began to suffer.

McMahon, best known as the affable sidekick to talk show host Johnny Carson, spent most of the fall coughing, sneezing and congested. "Nobody could figure out why he was unable to breathe," Browne said. He spent four months on antibiotics and had to cancel several speaking engagements. Finally, his doctor ordered him out of the house and his health improved.

deleted deleted
26-30
2 Responses Mar 10, 2009

Yes, mold spores can be very toxic and medicine is just starting to understand this.<br />
I lived in a house that, unknown to us, had black mold growing under the floor boards and inside the walls. We had all kinds of health issues from the day we moved into that place, but had no idea what was causing them. It affected everyone in the house, even the pets. One of our cats developed kidney disease, which eventually killed her and another had problems with severe itching and hair loss. He was mutilating himself to the point that he was covered with oozing sores that would not heal, despite treatment.<br />
<br />
I developed wicked headaches, breathing problems, chronic fatigue, brain fog and irritability. My kids had similar symptoms but were not as badly affected, probably because they are younger. The effects of mold exposure are cumulative, the more you are exposed to it over the course of your life, the worst the reactions become.<br />
<br />
Eventually, the appearance of a small spot (approx 6 inches long and 8 inches wide) of mold in a corner of the wall in my bedroom led to the discovery that there was extensive mold everywhere. It was inside the walls, in the insulation, under the carpet, in the underlay. Even the wood and structural beams in the sub floor space were rotten with it. I had been sleeping in that room for close to 2 years and as my symptoms grew worse, the doctor had no explanation and started to think I was nuts. He could find no medical reason for my symptoms, despite a battery of tests and decided it was all in my head.<br />
<br />
After the mold was discovered, the walls, insulation, floors and carpets all had to be all be torn up and disposed of. The whole area had to be disinfected and replaced with new materials to get rid of all the mold spores. The symptoms did resolve but it took a good 6-12 months for us to be feeling ok again. <br />
<br />
It was a nightmare, I was even starting to doubt my own sanity! Now that we are living in a mold free environment we have recovered and don't seem to have any lasting health issues from it, but time will tell.<br />
<br />
No amount of mold exposure is safe to live with, it can lead to chronic health issues. It must be removed, disinfected and whatever moisture issues that led to it forming in the first place must be dealt with or it will come back.<br />
It really is nasty stuff and it doesn't surprise me that it is carcinogenic.

OH !££$ No wonder I'm always getting ill. Ever since 12 years ago when we moved into this house, I have been allocated the littlest room with the damp in the corner. Thank you for enlightening me.