My First Pregnancy.

Hi I have 3 children and had complications with the first two pregnancy, but the stories are kinda long. So I will be segmenting them into groups. My first child (a girl) was born right before I turned 19 (I'm 27 now) and when I got pregnant boy was I miserable. My hips started spreading and my back hurt constantly, I had horrible morning sickness, and a urinary tract infection almost the whole time I was pregnant with her. but for the most part things went smoothly until it was time for me to have her.  My due date was in somewhere between the last 3 days in Oct to the first week in Nov. But on Oct 19th I had woke up and did my usual daily routine, but I noticed throughout the day my back was hurting more and more. Then in late afternoon around 2:00pm I had to go to the bathroom for the hundredth time that day. While using the restroom I noticed that I was spotting and became suddenly concerned, because I wasn't due for another 2 or three weeks, so I told my mother, a nurse, about it and she said I needed to go to the hospital and get checked out, just to be sure everything was okay. So she took me to the local emergency room and after they had examined me they told me that I was starting to dilate and was at 1 centimeter and that it would probably be another week before I was ready to deliver. So they sent me home. (I of course at this time was trying to do this whole thing without pain medicine. now I know better) anyway i went home to wait it out. I got home around 5:00pm, had dinner and went and laid down to try and relax. I fell asleep and didn't wake up again until around midnight. When I awoke I realized the back cramps had not gone away, but had gotten worse. By the time 2:00am rolled around I was in so much pain I couldn't stand it anymore and I had my mother drive me back to the hospital (my husband by the way was in the military at this time and was not home, but still going through boot camp.) Anyway when we got back to the hospital they checked me out again and I was at 2 centimeters and so they told me that they would put me in a room on the delivery unit, so they could give me medicine, but that they still felt I had a long wait. By 3:15am I was finally in a room and the nurse had come to give me a shot of Demerol and finergin. (sorry I am not sure if that is how you spell those.) About 5 minutes after receiving the shot I fell into a deeply drugged sleep and slept for about 2 hours. The nurse came in and checked on me around 4:30, which I did not remember and had to be told later. But she said I was still only at 2 centimeters, so went about her duties. Around 5:00 am I remember being jolted out of a drugged sleep by a very large and hard contraction. Which I looked at my mother, who was standing by the bed and told her to go get the nurse. She told me to relax and that I wasn't ready to have the baby yet and to go back to sleep. Which I replied and told her again very insistently to go get the nurse. My mother understanding the urgency in my voice and realizing something had changed went out of the room and brought back my nurse, who checked me out again and found that I had dilated from 2 centimeters to 10 centimeters in 30minutes and that I was ready to deliver right then, but my doctor wasn't even there yet. So she rushed out of the room to call him and let him know. During this time everything to me was just bits and fragments because I kept drifting in and out of consciousness.  I remember the nurses being in a hurry and trying to get everything ready for when the doctor got there. The next ****** I remember was waking to see the nurse holding a cup of coffee to the doctors mouth for him to drink (he had just woke up and had allready scrubbed and sanitized and didn't want to undo all his work by touching the coffee cup.) Then I remember my mom telling me she could see the baby's head, and to push one more time and pushing. Then out my daughter popped. Afterward though things didn't go as they should've, they cut the umbilical cord and waited for the placenta to make an apperance but it didn't come. My uterus stopped contracting and I started to bleed. The doctor grew very concerned, though he didn't ever show it. (again I only remember bits and snatches.) I don't remember anything after that until I finally woke up late afternoon that day. I was so weak I could hardly lift my head off the pillow and when I looked down I noticed my skin was ghostly white, almost to the point being translucent. I found out what had happened later. First your blood point is supposed to be between 14-16 points normally and mine had only been 10, which meant I had very little blood in my body to begin with ( I was very anemic). 2nd somehow during my pregnancy, the placenta which is supposed to be free floating in the uterus, only attached to it by the umbilical cord, had somehow grown into my uterus and did not detach after delivery. 3rd I had a lazy uterus, which means that after birth your uterus is supposed to keep contracting to slow the flow of blood until the placenta is birthed and then even after, to keep you from bleeding to death. Because of all these things i had almost bled to death. My doctor though, who is a great man, and delivered 2 of my 3 children, thankfully didn't lose his composure or give up on me, but did exactly what he needed to do to save my life. Well with the help of God anyway. and I will forever be eternally grateful for that as well as for the other things he has done for me and my family. Which that is a story for another day.

Skyelillie Skyelillie
26-30, F
1 Response Jul 23, 2008

I was born 3 weeks early, i got the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck and had to be born under an emergency c-section. Mum was so ill after having me... sorry mum... :P