Tanesha' Story



well where can i start as soon as i hit 30 i wanted another child boy or girl wasnt too bothered like most parents but i thought the baby thing wasnt to be till i reached 35 and found out i was 7 week pregnant and had the most horrendous morning sickness ever if you can call it morning sickness has it lasted all day even had bleeding at 8 week and thought id misscarred but no i knew this baby was strong then cos this tiny human hung in there, now i wanted a girl everybody in my family said it was a girl and they was right it was a girl i was so happy and couldnt wait i picked a name straight away and stuck with it her name is tanesha mae i said to all my family.

Now my due date came and went with no signs of labour even had a sweep at 41 weeks and had horrendous pain for the next week after that then finally my waters broke and off i went screaming to hospital this was the worst labour i had had you see i also have 2 teenagers and theres was easy compared to this i had forceps because she got stuck and ended up with 32 stitches ouch!!!

Anyway the moment i saw her she was my world you see i bonded with her long before i gave birth for i wanted her for so long i stayed in hospital for 4 days due to amount of blood id lost and we was both discharged and sent home.

        She seemed to be an easy baby sleeping all the time only waking for 5 min feeds then back asleep she would go but this was constant and i began to worry as she also seemed to be breathing fast so the next morning i told my midwife about it and she checked her and said it may settle in a day or two so i said ok and carried on as normal as the days passed all she seemed to do was sleep and feed then after about 2 week she started vomiting so again i got the midwife to check her and she decided to weigh her for the next few days to see how she goes on the beginning of the third week she had lost a total of 70g in a week so i was sent to the local hospital to get her checked out. They did all there checks and i was sent home with gaviscon for reflux i tried this over the weekend then took her back on the monday because she had lost more weight and her breathing was becoming worse i waited for hours to see a doctor, when the doctor came he did all the checks asked a lot of questions and left the room then in came another doctor at this point i was getting anxious as the same questions was getting asked over and over again then he turned and said they wanted to get a senior doctor to come see her and then talk to me so i waited 5 mins for the registrar to come, he examined her and turned to me and said has anybody mentioned that she has a heart mumer i said no whats that mean and from this point was the worst time of my life something inside me was ripped up i was taken to the ward while xrays and ecgs was done on my beautiful baby girl blood test after blood test was done while i sat there and cried.

After all her test had been done a nice doctor came to see me and told me the xrays and ecg wasnt normal and that he was sending me to leeds for her to have an echo i was so scared for my baby.

The next morning we was packed up early and waiting for an ambulance to transfer us to leeds it arrived 10 mins later and off we went it took a good hour to get there and when we arrived i was sent into this room on ward 10  with a big machine that takes an echo of your babys heart and vessals i sat there holding her head still while the scan was done i couldnt tell you the fear i felt inside as i watched the doctor scanning over my babies chest, after it was done she turned to me and said there is something wrong with your babies heart i will draw it to explain to you and as she started drawing the diagram i knew it was serious i said to her is there treatment she said yes but only open heart surgery and my world just fell before me i picked up my baby and held her so close and cried and i said and if she dont have the surgery then what and she said then she will die at that point i gave my daughter to the nurse that came with me and i ran to the toilet to be sick and when i returned they had put my daughter on the oxygen and put an ng feeding tube in they said her sats was low and she needed help said i may have to be there for 4 days depending on how she did on meds.

As the days went by her breathing got worse she started vomiting at every feed even though she was tube fed and she was sweating and clammy badly it was obvious she needed the op soon and thats what the surgeon comfirmed so i never made it home in fact i was there for 8 weeks as she went through surgery battled blood poisoning and suspected nec of the bowel and was on a pacemaker for 2 weeks now i sat by her cot morning and night willing and praying to god that she pull through it affected me badly i cryed all the time didnt eat or sleep until one of the nurses said if u dont eat or sleep u will get ill then they wont let u sit with your baby so i started to eat and sleep but the crying didnt stop i couldnt help it then one day tanesha looked at me and gave me her first smile i was sooo happy that day not a tear shed because i knew there was no brain damage and that she will be going home and we did make it home and she is my little warrior princess who is doing very well at the min may need more surgery as she grows but i take each day as it comes and hope its far off i would give anything i had to the surgeon and staff that took care off her without them she wouldnt be here so i thank them all from the bottom of my heart xxx

update 28/02/2010

tanesha scan went well took off all meds to see how she goes her blood preasure a little high for her but see her again in 2 months and see how it is then her valves still leaky but not as much as before.

wrote by 

amanda bell

mummy to tanesha mae ives

31/05/09 Complete AVSD


grooveybell grooveybell
31-35, F
Mar 11, 2010