This Information Will Only Take A Few Minutes To Share Might Prevent The Senseless Death Of Other Pets.

This information will only take a few minutes to share might prevent the senseless death of other pets.



Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don't have a pet, please pass this to those who do. Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Target, Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other garden supply stores contains a lethal ingredient called 'Theobromine'.

It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks.

Over the weekend, the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting lethargic in any way.

The next day, Mum woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's web site, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."

*Snopes site gives the following information - http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp

Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of Theobromine, a Xanthenes compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of Theobromine.
sharossody sharossody
70+, F
4 Responses Jul 15, 2010

Thank you for these tips G. We hear of something else every day, we once had a dog that loved to play with a grape, but as soon as she pricked it with her teeth, she'd give up on it.

Thanks for the warning here is a few more things to watch out for chocolate has the same toxin as the cocoa mulch namely Theobromin as well as caffein. Then there is grapes it sounds innocent but they are toxic so are raisins. Onions should be avoided too. As well as sugarfree gum which has xylotyl in it. Beware of these seemingly innocent things there is also anti freeze which tastes sweet to the dog or cat drinking it but is absolutely lethal. Look after your furkids as you would your children and keep all things like cleaning agents ect ect out of their reach and tucked well out of their reach.

I hope others heed this warning... thanks for your comment...S

Typical greedy Corporation. "So what if this kills pets? WE WANT OUR MONEY!"<br />
Thanks for the warning.<br />
Hope the CEO chokes.