My Troubled 15-year-old Daughter
My name is Debbie and I am the mother of a very troubleed teen daughter, named Brenna. Life for us has been extremely hard for the last few years, starting with my son's diagnosis with ADHD. If all the problems with him were not enough (and OMG, they were), our daughter has gone completely to hell.
In the last two years, we have gone through the following:
- She has been arrested twice: once for shoplifting, and once for underage drinking
- She does drugs: pills and marijuana.
- She drinks a lot
- She is a cutter and uses this as a way to handle her anger
- Her grades went from A's & B's to D's & F's
- She has sneaked out of our house numerous times and sneaked her ex-boyfriend in a few times
- She has promiscuous sex
- She thinks she is fat (not at all, tiny) so she will starve herself one minute, then gorge another time, often purging afterwards
- She's extremely angry all the time
- Tells us she hates living in our house and would rather live on the streets
I think that's it for now anyway. We never know what is going to happen. Lately, I've been so stressed and depressed because I feel she truly doesn't care about her life or her family. Right now, we know she would benefit greatly from a boarding school or residential treatment center, but we cannot afford those. We've decided to start with counseling and take it from there.
The amount of stress we endure is beyond belief. Our families just do not truly understand how hard this is. My husband and I both have gained weight, me from emotional eating, and him just because we stopped caring about ourselves. We feel at this time in our lives, taking care of ourselves is not an option; we must take care of our kids.
I am so excited to have found this group. I would love to connect with other people who are like us. Feel free to say hi anytime. I'd love to talk with you!