I Broke My Arm While Roller-skating

During my Senior year of high school, I went to the roller skating rink with the youth group from my church. I loved going places with them, but I didn't know how to skate. My youth leader reassured me that it would be fine, because he would teach me how to skate.

Once I got my shoes swapped out for roller skates, I turned to my youth pastor and said, "Okay, I'm ready." I was about five feet away from him at that time. He said, "Why don't you start first by just skating toward me." I said, "Okay," so I gave myself a little push so that I would be rolling toward his direction. Once I got to him, he steadied me and told me I did fine. Then he told me to skate away from him. I looked at what my destination would be, and saw that there was a pole a few feet away that I would be able to hang on to once I got there. All I had to do was get there. I started off well, but about halfway between that pole and where my youth leader was standing, I lost my momentum and my balance. I fell, right onto my left arm. Thinking back on it now, I actually think I may have held that arm out in an attempt to catch myself. If I did make the decision to do that, it was an unconscious one. It all happened so fast.

I heard the crack. I felt the shooting pain. I looked down at my arm and it looked as though I had an extra elbow. My arm was bent in a place that it shouldn't have been bent. I looked up at my youth leader and I said, "I broke my arm." A look of alarm came over his face and then he commanded one of the guys nearby to go get the car so that he could drive me to the hospital.

Meanwhile, the youth leader stayed with me and reassured me that everything was going to be fine. By this time, everyone else had heard what happened and when I looked up I saw a circle of everyone's faces looking down at me. The pain was so incredible and I had never experienced a broken bone before. In fact, I had always been afraid of having a broken bone. And the realization that I now had one almost put me into shock. But everyone told me not to think about it. I concentrated for a moment onto the song that was playing in the background and it was that song by Des'ree that goes, "You gotta be bad, you gotta be bold, you gotta be wiser. You gotta be hard, you gotta be tough, you gotta be stronger. You gotta be cool, you gotta be calm, you gotta stay together. All I know, all I know is love will save the day."

And to help get my mind off the pain, my best friend came to my side and told me to think about my boyfriend, to picture his face. That did help. She and some of the guys lifted me up and toted me out to the car. They did very well in that they did not move my arm or shoulder. Once I was in the car, my best friend continued to talk to me about cute guys in order to help me keep my mind off from the pain.

My youth leader drove us to the hospital and pulled up to the Emergency room. From there, the people who worked there at the hospital took over. I was carried inside and laid down on a bed, and within minutes my best friend was at my side. She told me they had called my parents and everything would be fine. She continued to sit there with me and talk to me until my mother got there. Once my mother got there, she stayed by my side the whole time.

The hospital did some X-rays and then set my arm so that it could be put into a cast. They gave me a lot of medicine for the pain, which I was thankful for.

They wrapped my arm up in a brace but they did not put the cast on right away. First I had to see a bone specialist. They said it was a complicated break. There are two bones in the part of the arm that I broke, and both of those bones were broken. In fact, the bone was shattered, and there were many little pieces of bone in my arm where the break took place. They determined they would have to do a bone graft. They took bone from my hip and placed it into my arm, and then they put two metal plates in my arm, once over each bone that had been broken. After that surgery, they then wrapped my arm up in a cast.

After wearing that cast for a couple months, they removed it and did more X-rays and said I should be fine. They gave me a brace to wear and with that on I went back to doing normal activities. I went back to carrying my books at school and all the other things that I normally used that arm for. I didn't think anything of it. And when the youth group invited me to go bowling with them, I agreed to go.

I used that arm for bowling, and after a while the arm really started to feel funny, and it began to hurt. When I told my mom about it the next day, she took me to the doctor and he X-rayed my arm again and said that the metal had weakened over the place where the bone was broke. Apparently I had been too rough with my arm since they took the cast off. I should have been careful at first, and gradually worked my way back into doing normal activities.

They did surgery on my arm again. They took out the small metal plates that were in there and they put in larger metal plates that would better cover the area of my arm where the break had taken place. Then they put a cast onto my arm again.

All in all I spent six months of that year with my arm in a cast. But once they took that second cast off, my arm really was doing well. But to be on the safe said, I didn't allow myself to do any strenuous activities or lift anything heavy with that arm for a while. I did small simple exercises with it and built it back up and before I knew it my arm was back to normal and I didn't think about it anymore. Now I use it for heavy work and I have no troubles with it.

I still have the metal plates in my arm. But I don't know that they are there unless I take my other hand and feel for the plates, then I can tell where the plates start and where they end. And of course I have a scar to show for it. Two scars, actually, one over each bone. The scar marks are getting lighter over time.

I was told that I would have trouble with the metal detectors in the airport. They had said that the metal plates may make the detector go off. But you know what, it didn't. It may have showed up on the meter a little bit but it wasn't enough to make the buzzer sound.

I was also told that I would now be able to feel when the rain comes, like the way older people do when they feel humidity in their aging bones. And I have to admit that for a long time, I did have a dull ache in my arm whenever it was raining or just about to rain. But now I don't even notice that. I guess I'm back to completely normal now.

RaggedyAnn RaggedyAnn
26-30, F
6 Responses Jun 13, 2007

I just broke my humerus 2.5 months ago. I had surgery and plate put in with several screws. My arm was only splinted. My ortho allows me now to take splint off and do gentle exercises. I also suffer from radial palsy. I am a mess. Feel like I am not getting better and just overall depressed.

i feel sorry for the person and i am hoping that that person might be feeling better now

I have broken both legs (years ago) and am going ice skating this Christmas .. keep your figers crossed for me!

I broke my wrist while roller skating, but it was someone elses fault. And lucky for me, mine wasn't nearly as bad as your break. A re-setting of my wrist and a cast was all I needed.

wow!long story but very fasinating.u describe how it happened really well.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Olivia age 11

me too! except that i was quite an experienced skater. embaressing!