My Dental Fillings Poisoned Me
I'd like to tell my story about my experience with mercury amalgam dental fillings.
I had the first filling as a small boy aged 7, due to a dental abcess.
I acquired ten more in the following 20 years, some quite large.
As a young adult I was phsyically very fit, doing lots of sport and leading a very active life.
The onset of symptoms was insidious from the age of about 11 years old - although I was not aware anything serious was wrong with me until I was well into my thirties.
The symptoms developed gradually and at first were subtle, with eyestrain headaches (no diagnosis until 1989, then it was wrong, but sincere!), double and blurred vision, gastro-instestinal irregularities, asthma, tingling teeth, chronic and acute sinusitis, sinus infections, chest infections, heart arrythmias, high blood pressure, 'boiling brain', chronic fatigue, poor concentration, impaired balance, mood swings and personality changes. There are more, but these are the main ones.
I live in the UK, and could not afford private treatment, and the National Health Service is completely ignorant (and/or in denial) about the possibility of mercury hypersensitivity from mercury amalgam dental fillings.
In 1998 chronic ill-health forced me to give up work (I was a university lecturer).
Apart from diagnosing the obvious symptoms of ill-health as 'atopic' (i.e., of unknown cause) the medical investigations I've undergone (which have been numerous!) have all drawn a blank.
After many years of trying to figure out what might have caused my problems I came to the conclusion it was likely to be a toxicity problem. A little more searching and mercury hypersensitivity seemed a likely candidate.
My General Practitioner (family doctor) admitted that doctors training in the NHS aren't taught anything about mercury toxicity arising from dental fillings. But he agreed that, given my medical history, it was worth getting my fillings changed.
A local NHS dentist agreed to remove all my amalgam fillings and replace them with white ceramic resin - although he could not do this for free as the NHS doesn't pay for these, so I had to pay.
My fillings were replaced in batches, and after each treatment the first thing I noticed after the anaesthetic wore off was that the teeth with new fillings had stopped tingling!
That was two years ago (2006). The result was to change my life.
Since then my heart arrythmia is considerably better, my blood pressure has come down, my boiling brain symptoms have gone completely, my eyesight is vastly improved (and still improving), my asthma is much better, my sinusitis is improving (I also had surgery to help with that), my balance is almost back to normal, my concentration is much better, my gastrointestinal irregulairites are gone, and my mood is back to being optimistic and happy.
I've read on some of the US websites that recommend (expensive) chelation treatment that the mercury already in the body will not be lost unless actively treated.
At least one other site (I've forgotten the address, sorry!) claimed that mercury was lost slowly from the body by natural physiological mechanisms.
I'm not a scientist, so I can only view these opposing viewpoints from the perspective of an interested ignoramus - but lack of funds prompted me to go for removal of the mercury first, then wait and see if any other treatments were required to restore my health.
In my case I've taken no special treatments or dietary supplements, just had my fillings changed, and it may be relevant that I'm a vegan (I eat no meat or animal products).
Since I had the mercury removed from my teeth my health has gradually and cumulatively improved, and all my symptoms have either reduced considerably or disappeared entirely. The improvement is still continuing - no idea whether I will ever completely recover, but having got as far as this is simply wonderful!
At age 54, not having worked for ten years, and not doing 'stress' at all these days, I'm content to live at home and be categorised as a 'domestic appliance' (that's what my wife now jokingly calls me - and I never argue with her!). We're both overjoyed at my marked improvement after all these years of being given no hope at all by the medical profession.
I'd be very interested to know if there are any others out there who have had a similar experience to mine - I've not found any mercury poisoning 'survivor' groups on the internet that are active in the UK.