Jeremiah & Depression
Love, Peace and Joy!!
One biblical example who I believe faced depression is Jeremiah. Many believe that the book of Lamentations was originally written inspired through Jeremiah.
The Bible says:
• Jeremiah felt afflicted (affliction - a state of great suffering and distress due to adversity) Lamentations. 3:1
• Jeremiah dealt with bitterness and hardship (Lam 3:5)
• Jeremiah felt God was not listening to His prayers (Lam 3:8)
• Jeremiah felt defective/laughed at (Lam 3:14),
• Jeremiah dealt with bitterness (Lam 3:15),
• Jeremiah was not happy (Lam 3:17),
• Jeremiah lost hope (Lam 3:18),
However, Jeremiah found comfort in dealing with his form of depression. Please take note on how he did in verse 22-26:
22 The LORD'S LOVING KINDNESSES indeed never cease,
For HIS COMPASSION never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
Great is Your FAITHFULNESS.
24 The LORD is my portion," says my soul,
"Therefore I HAVE HOPE IN HIM."
25 The LORD IS GOOD to those who wait for Him,
To the person who seeks Him.
26 IT IS GOOD THAT HE WAITS SILENTLY
For the salvation of the LORD.
Jeremiah battled his depression by simply REMINDING HIS MIND what God provides to those who worship Him.
Furthermore, more encouragement is found in verse 37 when it is written:
Who is there who speaks and it comes to pass,
Unless the Lord has commanded it?
In other words, it is God who is in control of everything!!
It is wrong for us to complain in how God does things:
39 Why should any living mortal, or any man,
Offer complaint in view of his sins?
40 Let us examine and probe our ways,
And let us return to the LORD.
I hope this falls on peaceful and receiving hearts. I know this reminded me why I serve the Lord. May we pray for each other and may the Lord continue to be with all our families.
With warm Regards,