My Name Change

my husband passed away in january..and i wanted to know in order to go back to using my maiden name do i have to go to court?

letitgo831 letitgo831
46-50, F
1 Response Feb 27, 2009

If you want a LEGAL name change, yes, you need to go to court. I have changed my name and it is very simple to do this on your own, you DO NOT need an attorney, they are a waste of money and can actually cause problems. The hard part is making sure you get all of your information switched to your maiden name or new name (driver license, passport, living trust/will, life insurance, social security, deed to your home, care registration, etc...). All the information can be found online in whatever state you are in .gov. Simply fill out and print the form, follow the instructions, get your court date, simple as that.