Me Too - With After-Effects

I too have just had a TGA experience which is similar in most respects to those of other posters. It lasted about six hours, I was in hospital (in the UK) for 24 hours, and I have retrieved most of my memories up to its onset and from the moment when my perceptions and memories recovered.

However, it is now five days on, and I have been experiencing apparent after-effects. This morning I have been feeling distanced and remote. I am having some difficulty with concentration and short-term memory. I have also been feeling mildly nauseous and dizzy. I have had several similar episodes since I came home and they do appear to fluctuate.

Has anyone else had this experience? And if so, did these apparent after-effects eventually disappear?
petercg petercg
1 Response Mar 15, 2013

Over the weekend I experienced TGA for approximately 6hrs and spend two nights in an acute care ward. After being released I have taken the rest of the week off sick for the same reason you have mentioned, i.e. lack of concentration a mild headache. One of the differences on my event is that on the evening prior to my experience I was having a few moments which just didn't seem right, e.g. after being out for dinner and arriving home on a cab I was fussing around with the change from the drivers and it didn't make sense and trying to access my work mobile and not being able to unlock it. I biggest challenge since the event is trying to make sense of it and not get emotional which seems to come easy since this event.

Very interesting, abg. I am now ten days on from the TGA and the after-effects have all but gone - I hope! However, like you, my emotions have been very raw and I reacted very emotionally to events. I also found I wanted to express my feelings more.
Then, last Saturday - six days after the event - I broke down completely as I talked through the episode with my wife. I was in floods of tears for about half an hour. I suspect this was because I had not been able to address my feelings during the event itself, when - my wife tells me - I was bewildered and frightened.
I have been keen to talk through the episode in the hope of making it fit some kind of narrative. But I also wanted to help my wife process it too. For about six hours she was afraid I had suffered a stroke, with all the life-changing consequences that entailed for both of us. When the hospital consultant told her he suspected I had suffered a TGA, and then explained what that was, she was enormousl relieved.
All the literature I have read online since sets out how traumatic the event can be for a person's loved-ones, and I am glad that my wife and I have been able to process this together. In short, I think you should "get emotional" because, I think, it will help release feelings that may be trapped. I hope you have someone you can talk it through with too.
One other point: I was fussing with my Nexus tablet before the event and apparently couldn't get it to work, which sounds similar to your experience. However, I have no memory of that now, and am going on what my wife has since described to me.
Can I also ask you post an update in a few days time? It is good to compare notes in this way.