Experience Project iOS Android Apps | Download EP for your Mobile Device

I Cant Stand It At Home Any More!!!

Im 21 and I still live at home by choices with my dad my mom died when I was 5 so its been kinda of hard I have a brother and a sister who are both older then me my dad has lost a leg and I take care of him but he just yells at me all the time and I cant stand it any more I love him but this is driving me crazy even if I forget something I get yelled at if I ask a stupid question I get yelled at and I understand hes not happy with life he lost his leg I would be the same way but yelling at me every 5mins I just cant do it any more I know he cares but yeah hes really not the type of dad that you could talk to about that kinda of thing or I probley would but I cant not really sure what to do he almost died last mounth because of the snow and he didnt even care like really could you care more about your life I guess I just dont like being treated like **** all the time and thats a nother thing I need to clean up after him all the time and I have a job and Im going to school so its not like I can stay home and do evey little thing for him so I just dont know what to do .
grlt grlt 18-21, F 1 Response Feb 22, 2012

Your Response


Many men with anger issues have depression or bipolar disorder. If your father would only see a doctor and take a mood stabilizer (and more than likely an antidepressant too) life would be so much easier both you and him. There isn't much you can do to change him, but you can tell him that you love him and are concerned that he may have a treatable disorder that he has not been diagnosed with having as of yet. Ideally he would see a psychiatrist and be evaluated. <br />
<br />
Now, let's talk about you. Once again, you cannot control your father and his behavior is disruptive to say the least. He's hurting you and abusing you. If you cannot move out just yet, I strongly recommend you see a counselor. If you do not have health insurance to pay for the counselor, many professionals do work on a sliding fee scale. Please look into counseling. <br />
<br />
Oh, idea, I almost forgotten about this. Alanon is a 12-Step Program, kind of like Alcoholic's Anonymous. It is geared for the loved ones of one who has an alcohol or substance abuse problem. Since your father is abusive, you can still go to these meetings. They are located all over town, at different days and different times and they are FREE. I suggest you go to one of these meetings and check it out. And please know that everyone who goes to these meetings at first is nervous and scared. Don't let fear stop you. Check them out and get yourself help right away.<br />
<br />
Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," Says the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future."