Halloween Movies Worth Watching
October has arrived and it's time to begin preparing for one of my favorite holidays: Halloween. For me, the celebrations begin well before Samhain Eve- in fact they usually lasts all month. One of the ways in which I enjoy Halloween is by watching movies appropriate to the holiday.
Typical horror movies irk me. The unimaginative plots, overused conventions, and excessively sensationalized effects make them absurd, tiresome, and generally unenjoyable. Yes, yes, I know... Horror is one of the "Body Genres" of film, and is therefore intended to incite an emotion- in this case fear- so strongly that is causes a physical reaction. I'm aware of that, but slasher films and generic horror movies just don't do anything for me. (I mean, really, how many times can a person watch a screaming bimbo flee a murderous psychopath, or witness a well-meaning victim contend with a creepy, evil child? For that matter, how many bloody times can said homicidal maniacs and demonic juveniles be resurrected? Seriously! And if I hear one more thing about a post-apocalyptic future, I'm going to scream.)
I do, however, greatly enjoy many horrors and thrillers that excite the mind as well as the emotions. Good plots are a requirement, therefore making mystery-thrillers a favorite, and uniqueness is an immense bonus. If a movie has both those characteristics, and involves the supernatural on as well, I'm almost certain to love it.
So, for those who may share my disdain for plotless, tawdy horror flicks, I've composed the following list of Halloween Movies Worth Watching!
1. The Others
2. The Orphanage
3. Sleepy Hollow
4. The Ninth Gate
5. Interview with the Vampire
6. Night Watch (the foreign film, not the crappy American atrocity by the same name)
7. Day Watch
8. The Gift
9. The Wicker Man (the original, not the remake)
10. The Crow
11. The Craft
12. Bram Stokers Dracula
13. The Exorcist (the original)
14. What Lies Beneath
15. The Changeling (the 1970's film, not the recent one.)
16. Skeleton Key
17. Psycho (the original)
Also, for when you want something fun rather than frightening, or just something kid-friendly, try these:
1. Practical Magic (not for kids, but great for a Halloween girl's night.)
2. Hocus Pocus
3. Death Becomes Her
4. Bedknobs and Broomsticks
5. Monsters, inc (It's cute and you know it.)
6. Disney Classic Halloween Cartoons (like Trick or Treat, and Lonesome Ghosts.)
7. Disney's Legend of Sleepy Hollow
8. Something Wicked This Way Comes
9. Blackbeard's Ghost
10. The Nightmare Before Christmas
11. Kiki's Delivery Service
12. Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
13. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!
If you enjoy real life haunting as well, consider looking up episodes of A Haunting, Ghost Hunters and Haunted Histories.
Enjoy and have a great October!