Let's Have A ComebackA girl sits quietly at the knee of one who has mastered an ancient skill. Daily she learns and practices her lessons until one day she also becomes a master. She graduates out onto her own, carrying knowledge passed down for centuries, ready to put it into practice for the good of all mankind. One day she too will pass on that knowledge, as it was for her, from mother to daughter.
When I say the word housewife, most people think of a mentally ill 'June Cleaver' hopped up on pills and liquor, pushing around a vacuum cleaner in high heels. The truth is that a housewife is just a woman who stays at home and cares for her home and family, but before modern conveniences and insane artificial ideas, there was something more, there was an art.
Have you ever been able to prevent life threatening complications while assisting a woman to give birth? Did you know that making soap is a dangerous undertaking that could result in a small explosion? Do you know how much practice it takes to be able to knit a comfortable sock while sitting in a rocking chair and holding a conversation? Could you keep healthy bees that pollinate orchards and then safely harvest the honey and use the wax to make candles? Have you ever milked a cow or churned butter? Do you know how to preserve your own foods in a totally sterile environment so they will last 10 years? Can you light a fire and cook a 6 course meal every morning on a wood fired oven?
There are a lot of people that would think things like this are "quaint" but obsolete and redundant, but they are wrong. Natural do-it-yourself homemaking skills like these are very nessicary in all but the richest of countries and even they were built on them and are sure to need them again, but what is more, if these things were practiced, the family, community, society and the world would be a better, happier, wiser and healthier place. (Which is exactly why this needed form of art is under attack, someone hates humanity, can you guess who?)
The value of a skilled old fashioned housewife is immeasurable.
By raising girls to be skilled old fashioned housewives, many innumerable and natural benefits are gained and promoted, far too many for me to list but I will mention a few.
1. Women who practice this lifestyle assume their natural role which brings fulfillment, stability, strength and health to themselves and their family unit.
2. It is a highly valuable skillset that reduces the family's dependency, saves money, builds in preparedness, produces surplus and bartering items and ensures the high quality and safety of many of the family's goods.
3. These skills and habits help a family to survive many challenges.
4. It keeps women out of a lot of trouble they would otherwise be causing or increasing.
5. It is the perfect companion occupation to the homesteader/survivalist/farmer/rancher/carpenter (old fashioned Husband), when the two arts are used in cooperation, the maximum level of independence and self sufficiency humanly possible are achieved for the family unit.
6. Children raised by women who practice this art are far healthier, happier, more skilled and wiser than children who are not.
7. It is a virtuous and honorable occupation that can be insulted but never invalidated.
8. Those who practice it gain a strong sense of fulfillment as women and general accomplishment, honor and worth.
9. Men of the highest quality find the skilled practice of this art to be an attractive and valued trait that helps them feel fulfilled as men.
10. Those who practice a full range of the skills included in this art get regular exercise without having to perform exercise for exercise's sake.
11. Practice of this art increases wisdom and stability of mind.
There are hundreds of other reasons why the practice of old fashioned housewifery is one of the most valuable and beneficial occupations for women, but I will leave the reader to consider those reasons for themselves with this list of a few of the elite skills that are possessed by expert old fashioned housewives:
Dairy processing i.e. milking, centrifugation, churning, cheesemaking
Nursing and field medicine
Canning and preserving
Natural textile fabrication
Sanitation and disease prevention
Smoking and drying foods
Basic stock keeping
Proficiency with a musical instrument
Creative and communicative writing
And much more