Flaczki (beef Tripe the Polish Way)
Flaczki (Beef Tripe the Polish way)
* 2 lbs. Tripe
* 1 large beef soup bone or ham hock
* 4 chicken thighs, breasts or 6 drumsticks
* 2 onions, roughly chopped
* 3 ribs of celery, peeled and chopped
* 1 sprig fresh parsley, chopped
* 2 carrots, shredded or whole
* 1 leak whole
* 3 cloves of garlic
* 1 Bay leaf
* 3 balls of allspice whole
* 1 Tbsp. flour
* 1 Tbsp. butter
* 1/2 tsp. marjoram
* salt & pepper to taste
* 4 peppercorns
1. Make certain to buy tripe that is clean and white.
2. Scrape and clean the tripe.
3. Rinse well.
4. Place in a large saucepan and immerse in cold water.
5. Note: Some people prefer to pour boiled water over
the tripe I have no idea why, maybe it's faster.
6. Cover and bring to a rolling boil.
7. Pour off the water and cover tripe with fresh, cold
8. Cook again for 3 to 4 hours or until tender.
9. At the same time in another pot cook the vegetables
and ham hocks.
Throw in the beef and chicken.
10. Take out the tripe and cut it in strips, then throw
back in the tripe water.
11. Cook the beef soup bone or ham hock in about 2 qts.
water with the onion, celery, parsley, leak, carrots,
garlic, bay leaf, allspice and peppercorns for 3
to 4 hours on a med-low heat.
12. When the meat chicken and hocks are falling off the
bone take it out and try to make it into even pieces.
13. Add the meat chicken and vegetables to the tripe
14. Add the marjoram and cook all together for about 1
15. You can not forget to take the foam off the tripe or
the soup while it's cooking or the soup will not be
16. Add spices and cook for five more minutes. Serve with
Dumplings Whole potatoes or Rye Bread.
17. Note: Tripe is served as soup or a main course meal
depending on how thick you like to make it.
18. One Source where you will find a similar recipe is:
"Treasure Polish Recipes for Americans"