Because Atheists reject the Bible and other "spiritual" writings they have to turn to Secular Ethics to produce a list of VIRTUES they would like to see operating in a Secular Humanist Society. Such lists do of course owe something to the Ten Commandments and the Nine Christian Virtues known as the Fruit of the Spirit and other sacred writings. This is inevitable because the basis of virtues for Human Ethics and Morality would have a common basis. Many would argue that there can be no moral absolutes without religion. However the Atheist 10 C is simply a list of virtues for consideration without obligation. They do not represent the values of cut-throat 21st C Capitalism !
This is the Decalogue presented by Alain de Bolton
1. RESILIENCE ~ Ability to recover quickly from setbacks
2. EMPATHY ~ Sensing others feelings - as if one's own
3. PATIENCE ~ We live in a very instant Society
4. SACRIFICE ~ For others, for Community, for Country
5. POLITENESS ~ Can anybody be bothered these days ?
6. HUMOUR ~ A Sense of Humour is essential to survive !
7. SELF-AWARENESS ~ Aware of one's own worth & skills
8. FORGIVENESS ~ One of the greatest virtues !
9. HOPE ~ In the Future & Survival of the Human Race
10. CONFIDENCE ~ In yourself, your Country and the World.
We live in very self-focused Societies which means that many of the above Virtues are lacking especially 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 etc. Because I am a Christian I rely on the Holy Spirit to help me to exercise all the above ten virtues. Humanists expect everyone to be decent ! ! !
Thanks for reading ~ comments welcome ! LOL ~ Issabela