Rimadyl And Proin Killed My Dog
My husband and I lost our 14 year old lab terrier mix in July, one month after she was diagnosed with end stage renal failure. This dog had perfect labwork and was prescribed daily Rimadyl in June 2009 for arthritis. I never researched the potential side effects, naively believing that my vet knew best. Our old girl had her annual wellness exam in November 2009 and was pronounced a "healthy senior dog." Seven months later, she's dead. The dog began showing signs of renal disease last winter, but I was too busy with school, work, and my husband's recent surgery to notice what was going on with her. In February, I took her to the vet because she had been incontinent in bed (because she was drinking excessive amounts of water to compensate for her deteriorating kidneys). He prescribed Proin, a drug that raises blood pressure and is also bad for the kidneys. In May, O. began refusing food with the pills mixed in; it's as if she knew. Maybe she did. Over Memorial Day weekend, she refused to eat, but we could not get her to a vet until the following Wednesday. Labs showed she was in severe renal failure. She spent a combined total of 5 days in the hospital. Aggressive IV fluid therapy diluted her and improved her lab values temporarily, but within a week, she began to decline again. I spent the month of June force feeding her by syringe, trying to get calories in her and control her nausea. But her kidneys worsened and we euthanized her on July 1. Now that I am connected to an online group for dog parents whose furkids have kidney disease, I know there was so much more that could have been done for my girl. My vet still insists the medications he prescribed had nothing to do with her renal failure and that she was just old. I think that he wrote her off because she was elderly and refused my request for SQ fluids because he didn't want to be bothered. Now, I have to find a way to live with myself because I didn't catch O.'s renal failure in time. She had been a very healthy dog her whole life, and I feel I poisoned her and let her down at the end of it. Please, please, beware of these drugs!