Post
Experience Project iOS Android Apps | Download EP for your Mobile Device

Defribulator/pacemaker

I just want to know what the shock of a defribulator feels like.  I think I've had the shock a few times.

pegstags pegstags 46-50, F 10 Responses Apr 18, 2010

Your Response

Cancel

I was shocked 60 times during a 2.5 hour period due to a fractured lead, Biotronic product. The defibrillator was Medtronic Virtuoso. This is the only time I was ever shocked since implant in 2006. The event occurred Oct 8, 2011, 11:30PM. The hospital, Banner Desert Center in Mesa Arizona failed to take any action to turn off the device even though hospital staff stated nothing was wrong with the heart which would be causing the defibrilator to shock. They elected to allow me to lay in tremendous pain until 2:30AM when the Medtronic representative came in and immediately placed a magnet on the device deactivating it, followed by diagnosis which pointed to fractured lead. Two days later new Medtronic Protecta and St Jude lead installed. Never rely on Banner Desert Center in Mesa Arizona for cardiac care as they exhibited a total lack of compassion and professionalism in my opinion.

I know, I definitely need to get a magnet. Naturally I forget these things until I need them!<br />
<br />
They were all because of my heart, even though every time I was positive it was malfunctioning because I felt normal.

I've had three incidents of being shocked. The first was when I was fifteen and it was less than 2 days after it was put in. My doctor told me he doubted I would ever have to use it, but sure enough I was shocked twice as soon as I got home from the hospital. The second time was three years ago when I was 19 and I got shocked nineteen times and I thought I was going to die. It was the worst experience I've ever had because I felt like I had no control over anything. I just wanted it to stop. I had another incident about a month ago (I'm 22 now) and I was shocked eight times. I was home alone, and every time I tried to call someone my cell phone and I would get shocked and I couldn't get a call through. Fortunately, I was eventually able to push my mother's number on my phone and even though I was hysterical she knew my screams could only be due to the defibrillator and she called an ambulance.<br />
<br />
If you have a prolonged episode, the worst part is not the shocks but the lack of control you have over your own body. The inability to get help, as I learned. My cardiologist has given my permission to use a magnet on myself so I can make a call if this happens again, but that's also a scary prospect, because it's not letting the defibrillator do the job.

I havn't been shocked yet. Mine was installed Dec 9th, 2010. My dr told me if I was shocked twice in a row that I couldn't drive for 6 mths. Is this true?

I had one put in Aug of 2009 and had no shocks until feb 2010..it was really a shock in both ways of using the word....horrible,,,,it stunned me...i have 2 then 2 weeks later another and then a month later 5 and that is when they put me on tikosyn and it has been 8 months and not another hit praise God...i hope i never have another one...i heard of one guy on this drug who has had no shock for years since starting it

God bless you, and sorry it's been a rough year on you. 5 shocks must have been tough to take? I got shocked 3 times and they were painful to me. I couldn't imagine having 5. Yeah your right the icd did it's job but it just sucks when you get shocked. I'll keep you in my prayers and hope the rest of the year will be better for you.<br />
<br />
Tambug

gday iv had mine since 99 first year no shock then 3 in a row scared the **** out of me up to date been a bad year 5 shocks in 2 months heart was going at 290 so did its job still hate it but thats life

I felt the same way when I was shocked. Like I was kicked by a horse, but it didn't hurt, it just scared the heck outta me.I felt fine after though. You will know for sure when you've been shocked.<br />
<br />
Dtittle

I felt the same way when I was shocked. Like I was kicked by a horse, but it didn't hurt, it just scared the heck outta me.I felt fine after though. You will know for sure when you've been shocked.<br />
<br />
Dtittle

Well Defribulator/pacemaker. When I got shocked for the first time. It felt like a mule kicked me in the center of my chest. I got shcoked 3 times on Sept.24,2006. I had my ICD for 1 year and 4 days on that scary day. I was 39 years old. My doctor warned me, if I didn't get the ICD I could have a heart attack and die, Well I did the implant in just the nick of time. Although my life flashed before my eyes that day, it's by the grace of GOD, I'm still here with my family. As I was being shocked also I found it hard to breath, but after my shocks were over I could breath. I hope this helps you? I've been living with my ICD for the past 5 years. I have a friend that has the same condition as me and we keep in touch often. We share the same date of having the implant done. One day I will tell my story, of how I found out I had a heart condition that lead to the ICD implant. For now I'm just trying to reach out to others that live with the ICD as I do. It's a lonely place out here, until you find others that have the same ICD implant, then the world isn't such a lonely place after all.<br />
<br />
<br />
Tambug29