What Is a True Friend?????
When I saw that my good friend, My, had started this group I had to weigh in because I am focusing on being the best friend possible to all my friends. When I think back to the people in my life that were truly my best lifelong friends I can see common characteristics that all these persons share. I look back to the difficult moments in my life and these were the persons that were always there for me. They were there to console me when I needed it, to give me honest advice when I needed it, to provide me a little encouragement when I needed it, and to give me a kick in the a$$ when that was needed as well. So what characteristics does it take to be my friend?
In My Opinion a Good Friend:
- Respects my opinion. He/She doesn’t have to act on my opinion but I want my friend to listen to what I have to say and vice versa. I want them to share their opinion with me.
- Has similar values and/or respects the values that I have for myself.
- Has their own interests outside of me. We can’t spend 24/7 together so I want to have my time with my boyfriend and they should spend time with their significant other as well.
- Will be truthful at all times A good friend will tells his/her friend about themselves even when it is painful. You do not want to be a friend that says exactly what your friend wants, you want to tell them truth about themselves even when it may place strain on your relationship. I expect this from my friends and I give them this in return. I may hurt your feelings but you will always know the truth.
- Loves at all times. This kind of friend loves you when you are wrong and when you are right. They don’t have to agree with you all the time but they have to love you anyway. They love you so much that they will never leave you in good times or bad. They are a forever friend.
These are the things that I want to be to my true friends. I try to be the best friend possible and to be there for my friends in every situation. I hope I haven’t failed you in this endeavor although I know that sometimes I fall short. I love you all very much.