Would It Be Better To Get A Master's Degree In Human Counseling Or Social Work?

I'm considering going back to school. I think I would be really happy working as a family counselor and or school counselor. After speaking to someone that works for the ISBE ( Illinois State Board of Education), she said it would be better to get a Master's in Social Work because there is more of a demand, that I would be limiting myself with a degree in Human Counseling and Development. She also said that job security for counselors is very unstable right now. I would really appreciate some opinions. I had planned on applying to a program for the fall and could use some advice.
knone knone
1 Response Jan 16, 2013

There are many things one can do with a degree in psychology or social work. You need to seek a college counselor or talk with someone in the psyc dept. and if that person is negative re future career prospects, please find someone else. You are limited in this field only by your own imagination. There are so many needs