01. lead, follow, or get out of the way. I'm perfectly capable of steering this ship, and I have yet to meet the iceberg that prevents my swimming. If you have nothing to offer, be silent.
02. a personal sense of style. This is not about your clothes, though it will be reflected therein. This is about knowing who you are and honouring your self. Also included: having a hobby. Integrity. The ability to laugh at yourself.
03. luxury. There is beauty in the world, and God gave with two open hands. A certain amount of hedonism shows appreciation. Don't be stingy with produce. One apple holds enough seeds to feed you for years. If you can't take a moment to notice the beauty of the ocean at sunset because we're stuck in traffic, I don't need to be in your car. And you sure as shootin' don't need to be anywhere near my progeny ( born, unborn, or as-yet-unconceived ).
04. curiosity. About me, about the universe, about the spaces between. About how to make things better and about the underside of buildings and about what they do with those little pieces of metal they cut out to make holes in flutes. I have so much I would love to show you, and if you're curious, you'll have lots to show me, too.
05. use your head for more than a hatrack. My mother used to say this, and I thought it was silly, but now I see there are an awful lot of people out there just bobble-heading along and not really reacting with any intelligence or intuition.. or trust. I don't mind if you don't know. I'd rather you chose to learn and were interested. Invested. But stubborn wrong-headedness will earn you no points with me. Ignorance is not attractive.
06. be motivated. On my own, I move at a glacial pace, and I love to be around people who are active and driven. That doesn't mean I want to see you doing push-ups at the foot of the bed at 4 in the morning, but hey... I'll adapt. Energy is infectious, and this is an area where a partner could balance my laid-back nature.
07. sensuality. Feel. If you don't already, I'm willing to help. I do believe this is something you can learn.
08. libido. I know this is a treacherous area, but it's important. I know, because I've had enough relationships lose cohesive force and start to separate like blood in a centrifuge. I'm no longer willing to pretend I don't need it to make you feel better, so if you don't need or want it or you know you don't have it to give, get a " friend " application and stop wasting my time. I'll still love you.
09. social consciousness. I don't need you to donate money to special charities or get up and move to Port-Au-Prince. I definitely don't need you to be political. In fact, I think I'd prefer you weren't. But I do need you to open your eyes to the issues confronting us all. Every person on this planet is a twin from the same womb, and their pain matters. Their pleasure matters, too. The stewardship of this planet is a heavy responsibility. There is so much happening, and it should interest you, and you should care.
10. grace. Be kind to old people. Respect children. Master animals. Thank trees. Tip well and be kind to waitstaff. Eat heartily, but don't be greedy. Make your momma proud. Be someone your grandfather would like to get to know.