1 Peter 4:12-19 (NIV) "Suffering for being a Christian"
12. Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.
13. But rejoice, that you partake in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when His glory is revealed.
14. If you are insulted because the name of Christ, you are blessed , for the Spirit of glory, and of God rests on you.
15. If you suffer, it would not be a murderer, or thief , or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler.
16. However, if you suffer a s a Christian, do not be ashamed. but praise God that you bear that name.
17. For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?
18. And, "If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"
19. So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful creator and continue to do good.